Friday, September 21, 2007

Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

Today my students were reading silently as I circulated around the room and observed behavior. One student was reading a book called Dog Friday and I picked it up to read the back. (Because I had never seen the book.) The first sentence speaks about 2 obstreperous girls in their hometown. I have never seen the word obstreperous and so I asked the student if he knew what it meant. He said no, well, he actually said "Nuh-uh." Nice. I thought...hmmm...this IS a fifth grade book. It is bad that the fifth grade teacher doesn't even know what obstreperous means. So, we looked it up. We found out the easy way. Do you know what it means? Use the poll on the right to take a guess. (DON'T LOOK IT UP IN A DICTIONARY THOUGH! THAT WOULD BE CHEATING!) Go ahead...take a guess. What do you have to lose?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not. I looked up the definition after (yes, AFTER) I voted, and I was wrong. :( On the bright side, I've apparently made it through my days without knowing that word means, and I'm doing just fine.

eileen said...

got it right! I looked it up after I guessed. Well, I did narrow down the choices to two of them, so it wasn't a complete guess.

Anonymous said...

I got it right. I read the comments and noticed that everyone else checked out the defintion afterword, so I thought I better too. I was right!!!! That's a surprise, I used process of elimination.

Anonymous said...

if you like this show as much as i do....then VOTE for it to win the People's Choice Award for Best Game Show!!! go to PCAVote.com