Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The last week

The last week has been a whirlwind of events.

Last Monday (July 28) I finished up stapling the last staple into the walls of my classroom AND I finished up the last assignment for the course I was taking. I was feeling pretty good about myself and the fact that I was really sailing right along in terms getting things done. I figured this left me a week, or so, to rest and relax before the big push for the beginning of the school year. (Which, for me, starts on August 12). So, then on Tuesday I got a call from my mother. My grandmother had died. We made arrangements and made a quick trip to Elkhart/Middlebury for my Grandmother's funeral. We are back now, and I am busily working at school preparing for the onset of the new year. Below, you can see a photo of my grandmother along with her obituary. Needless to say, we are both spent and exhausted.

Mary Alice (Jones) Smith
Mary Alice (Jones) Smith, 88, of 53169 CR 39 Middlebury, IN died unexpectedly and due to natural causes at 6:27 PM on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at the Goshen General Hospital emergency room. She was born August 27, 1919 in Plymouth, IN., to the late Elzie and Valira Marie (Palmer) Jones. On March 6, 1939 in Plymouth, IN she married Willard Richard Smith. She was a homemaker, and had worked for Barler Manufacturing, IXL, Goshen Rubber and Western Rubber all of Goshen. Survivors include Daughter, Sandra J. Pelfrey of Middlebury, IN; 4 Sons, Willard LeRoy Smith, Victor Irvin Smith, Terry A. Smith all of Middlebury, IN, Davey B. Smith of Elkhart, IN; 9 Grandchildren, 15 Great Grandchildren, 4 Great Great Grandchildren; 5 Sisters, Esther Klapp of Plymouth, IN, Hazel & Alfred Stickler of Millersburg, IN., Betty Sullivan of Plymouth, IN, Margaret Wolfinger of Millersburg, IN., Barbara Bayse of New Haven, IN; Brother, Harry Jones of Waldport, OR. She was preceded in death by her parents, a son, Richard Eugene Smith, 2 Brothers, Charles and William Jones. Visitation will be from 2 - 4 and 6 - 8 PM, Friday at the funeral home. Funeral services will be at 10:00 A.M. on Saturday, August 2, 2008 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Bristol.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. I only have one grandparent left so I know how that feels. Congrats on the room getting ready so early. I was never that prepared. I'm kind of sad that I don't have to do any of that this year. I've applied for a few other jobs, but if nothing pans out I'll just sub here next year. Have a great year!

eileen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. She and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

amy f. said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandma. I hope you're doing alright. What an emotional way to end the summer. I'm thinking of you during back-to-school time.